I came across this recipe a few weeks ago and I’m yet to find a more deliciously peculiar cupcake!
Do you want to have a go at making a Cookie Monster Cupcake? Come along to our Cupcake, Woopie Pie and Martini Making class. We’ll be making Mr Whippy Cupcakes and Oreo whoopie pies too!
Cookie Monster Cupcake Recipe
Cupcake mix (makes 6 medium cupcakes)
50g Self raising flour
50g Caster sugar (superfine)
50g Butter or margarine
250g unsalted butter
300g icing sugar
Sprinkle of vanilla
Milk – no more than 4 tablespoons
Blue food colouring
Cookies (any brand)
Cupcake Sponge Recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Electric oven | Electric fan oven 160°C | Gas Mark 4) and place paper cases into a muffin tin
- Using an electric whisk, food processor or wooden spoon, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add in the egg, beating it well
- Fold in the flour
- Bake in the oven for 10 – 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, check to see if the cupcakes are ready by inserting a cocktail stick into one of the cupcakes. If it comes out dry then the cupcakes are done. If not, pop the cakes back in the oven for a few more minutes. Lift the cupcakes out of the muffin tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Butter Frosting Recipe:
Mix the unsalted butter, icing sugar and vanilla
- Add the tablespoons of milk, one tablespoon at a time and stir in well
- Whisk for 10 minutes
- Take out 4-5 tablespoons of the mixture and keep in a separate bowl
- Add the blue food colouring to the remaining mixture. Stir well.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, cover them in the blue butter frosting.
- Next make the coloured coconut. Add a few drops of food colouring to the coconut and coat thoroughly. Spread the coconut out on wax paper to air dry for a couple hours. To make the coconut better resemble the Cookie Monster’s furry coat, you can pulse the coconut in a food processor.
- Sprinkle the tinted blue desiccated coconut over the cupcakes.
- To make the eyes, pipe out two balls of white butter icing (use a baggie with the corner snipped off if you don’t have a pastry bag)
- Add a chocolate chip, with the flat surface facing upwards, to each ball of white butter frosting
- Use a sharp knife to make a cut for the mouth and wedge in your favourite cookie
- Enjoy….and try not to eat them all at once!